Wednesday, June 27, 2007

the truth about the Eto'o-Ronaldinho relationship

Usually, I don't do short, single-item blog posts, mostly because I'm far too verbose. But having come across the following quotes about Samuel Eto'o and particularly his relationship with Ronaldinho (and having laughed and laughed) I couldn't resist sharing.

Without further comment:
Eto'o...was telling reporters at a junior tournament in Leon that he had a "love-hate" relationship with Ronaldinho.
But wait, it gets better:
"I haven't got any problem with Rijkaard," Eto'o said. "I'm very happy to have him as coach. I think he's the best there is. When there is ambition and I see that the people want us, I don't see why I should leave the Camp Nou." Regarding his relationship with Ronaldinho, the 26-year-old said: "We are like husband and wife, we fight and we always make up."
As Deco would tell you...
Deco says of Eto'o, "we know his character, and he sometimes says things and then thinks, but he doesn't mean any harm".
Oh dear. On a serious note, I pretty much agree with Deco. And Sammy sometimes says things that make me admire him just that much more:
"Ronnie has things off the pitch I am not used to and vice versa, but we go out partying together," he said. "It is just that we don't call journalists (in order that) they see us together. We are two great players, we have nothing to envy of each other. People look for the divisions, the crises. I really hope they mean well, that they want to motivate us.

"But I am afraid that, as a consequence of their words, a tense atmosphere is created. I remember Ronnie missing a penalty against Benfica in the Champions League, he was being criticised at the time, and I told him, 'Wait, you will see.'

"He gave me a wonderful pass a few minutes later, I could have scored and the defender thought so, but I gave it to Ronnie and he scored. That day I was happier than if I had put it in the back of the net. I would do that a thousand times for a friend like him."

"All I want from everybody is commitment," he said, "so we give pleasure to those millions of people that follow us and that pay us, so at the end of the season we have a clear conscience."
Huh, this turned long and serious after all. Damn. Next up, my analysis of the Argentinean starting line-up against the US, and then my Barca 06-07 player-by-player review.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always thought that they don't get along. I think they both have huge egos that clash

Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

I always thought that there is more of a problem Deco - Eto'o than R&E.
think it is also very much in the press' interest to exagerate the problem, as they want to confront each other and have adopted a player each in their media war.
Next Chivu, then abidal.
looking quite good.
rumours are abidal is in town. roma reps are in town.

Linda said...

I agree with Yrsa - the press certainly makes everything much worse than it has to be. As nats said, they do both have huge egos, but most star players do and they'll just have to learn to live with each other if they haven't already.

God, we really need both Chivu and Abidal now, especially since Gio just left.